Giga-Scale Thermal Energy Storage for Renewable Districts
- Thermal Energy Storage
- Solar thermal
- Energy supply
- District Heating
- Energy concept
- Technology transfer
- Knowledge transfer
- Public funds
01/2018 – 12/2020 (3 years)
3,3 m. EUR
The Austrian lead project gigaTES aims at developing giga-scale storage concepts for urban districts with integrating large shares of renewables focusing on Austrian implementations.
Austrian Climate and Energy Fund
- AEE INTEC – Institut für Nachhaltige Technologien (AT) (Koordinator)
- Steinbeis Forschungsinstitut Solites (DE)
- S.O.L.I.D. Gesellschaft für Solarinstallation und Design mbH (AT)
- Johannes Kepler Universität – Institute of Polymeric Materials and Testing (AT)
- Universität Innsbruck – Institut für Konstruktion und Materialwissenschaften, AT
- Ingenieurbüro ste.p ZT-GmbH (AT)
- AGRU Kunststofftechnik GmbH (AT)
- Metawell GmbH (DE)
- Bilfinger VAM Anlagentechnik GmbH (AT)
- Geologie und Grundwasser GmbH (AT)
- PORR Bau GmbH Tiefbau (AT)
- Lenzing Plastics GmbH (AT)
- PlanEnergi (DK)
- Gabriel-Chemie Gesellschaft mbH (AT)
- Smart Minerals GmbH (AT)
- Wien Energie GmbH (AT)
- Salzburg AG (AT)
- GVT Verfahrenstechnik GmbH (AT)
- Comprehensive overview of requirements and challenges for application and installation of giga-scale heat storages
- Development of innovative and optimal construction methods for giga-scale heat storages
- Elaboration of economically viable solutions for critical storage components such as base plate, liner and cover
- Development of novel polymeric and anorganic materials for the construction of large-scale heat storages
- Development of simulation models considering different modelling depths, validation and application of the models for optimising the construction in respect to relevant boundary conditions
- Assessment of the additional benefit and importance of large-scale storages in respect to existing and future district heating networks
- Development of components and technologies
- Materials development and testing
- Computer aided storage optimisation
- System integration and storage management
- Categorized and prioritized requirements, challenges and benefits of giga-scale heat storages for at least three Austrian locations representing possible archetypes.
- Technology concepts for large & deep storage pits within five typical construction grounds (rock/soils, with/without ground water), designs and process technologies for multilayer structures for the bottom, the wall and the cover of giga-scale TES.
- Novel liner, concrete and metal-sandwich materials with improved temperature capability and lifetime as well as optimized multi-functional property profiles according to the component specific requirements.
- Detailed 3D TES model accounting for different ground layers, ground water flow, complex geometries, and moisture transport and convection in multi-layer structures at the bottom, the wall or the cover.
- Simulation framework, application scenarios and operating windows for district heating systems with integrated giga-scale TES.